Vaya Con Dios

Jojo’s school performance with her papas!

The other day I read a post on a Facebook support group for people who are going through the same paperwork process as us for immigration. The lady said, “Waiver is in the mail! Now it’s in God’s hands.”

I was caused to remember this again yesterday when I finally sent off Victor’s waiver. I had to remind myself that this has always been in God’s hands, but I understand what the lady on Facebook meant. You work so hard for so long to prepare the best possible case with the strongest evidence. Then when you finish, you have a choice: embracing desperation or hope, worry or faith…

I choose faith.

In Chiapas when when you say goodbye to someone, they often reply with this farewell, “Que la vaya con Dios.” It basically means, “Go with God.” And that is what I kept saying to myself yesterday. It is literally out of my hands now. There’s nothing I can do now. I just have to wait and trust…

People have been asking about our plans, and it is hard to explain how this whole process works. I explain our future like this: There is a VERY slight (practically non-existent) possibility that Victor will get to come home this summer. That is based on an expedite that I can request once the immigration-powers-that-be receive our paperwork. Honestly, it will be almost impossible to get the expedite–they aren’t given out easily. (This isn’t a negative thought, just a realistic one.)

Most likely, our expedite will be denied, and then we have to wait for regular processing like everyone else. Right now processing is taking 10-14 months. So at the earliest, Victor might be approved next March.

If Victor’s waiver is approved, then he will have to go through the visa process again–new vaccines, new police records from Mexico and the U.S., and more money. BUT this is all money that people are happy to pay at this point, as it means that their loved ones are returning home. If he is approved, there are additional fees for the greencard.

There’s also a chance that the evidence that I sent won’t be sufficient for approving his waiver, and they could either deny our application or request more information. Normally they request more evidence, and that is when people know they are close to a decision being made. If Victor’s waiver is denied, the girls and I will return to Mexico next summer.

We are approaching this next step much the way I did when I moved to Mexico: trusting that God is in control and has the best plans for us. “Precious thought, my father knoweth, in his love I rest. For what e’re my father doeth must be always best. Well I know the heart that planneth, naught but good for me. Joy and sorrow interwoven, love in all I see…”

Now we are reaching our final months and weeks in Torreón, and there is so much to do. I’ve started selling or giving away whatever I can. We’re setting aside things that Victor will be able to use in his new house, and making plans for what needs to return home with us. I’ve got a couple boxes packed, and I am trying to talk myself through this process with positive thinking. It’s hard though, I won’t lie.

This little girl is full of life, but she’s picky with whom she shares all that spirit.

Ale is super excited AND nervous. She woke up this morning, and the first thing she said was, “I can’t wait for school in Tennessee.” But last week at meeting she wrote me this note, “I love Tennessee, but I am not ready to move.” I am mostly sad about the girls not being close to their Papi. He plays such a vital role in their daily life, and I don’t know what will happen when he isn’t there. All I can think is that we HAVE to make sure to Facetime every day! Oh! it breaks my heart to think of it…

Update on Immigration Costs (in USD): $2,130+permission to reapply ($930)+waiver ($930)= $3,990 total

This is our favorite place to eat. Ale surprised us with this message on their cool chalkboard wall, and because I am a literacy mama, I asked for a photo! ❤