You always hear about women getting tired of answering this question. It doesn’t bother me too much–maybe because we have decided to be surprised. I get to hear a different version of the question, or at least it means something different. People who know we’re waiting to be surprised ask me if I know–as if they’re waiting for me to change my mind (This doesn’t really bother me either…)
Today, I began making a list of what it would be like to have one or the other.
If I have a boy:
- He will probably have “cactus hair” like my husband. These are his words–not mine.
- I will be resigned to say, “No soccer in the house!” for the rest of my life. This revelation came not long after we purchased a soccer ball to play together…
- Potty training is already puzzling: do I teach him how to go sitting down or standing up?
- Buying clothes will rock! Blue jeans. Tennis shoes. T-shirts. What more does a little boy need?
- He must learn to dance like his Daddy.
- I guess I’ll get peed on. My niece pees the moment air hits her bottom.
- Daddy will have to teach him how to aim. I am not about to have a smelly gross boy bathroom.
- Girls watch out.
If I have a girl:
- Let’s hope she takes after Papi’s family in the hips/butt department. Victor’s sisters are so slim through the hips. And my family…well…slim isn’t a word to describe our posterior regions.
- Do they have return policies at around age 10?
- Maci (my oldest niece) might have to come spend summers with me. Knowing my luck, I’ll get a little girl who only wants to wear “a hurt and a curt” (and shirt and a skirt) everyday.
- Sigh. Clothes are cute–but they have SOOOO many!
- She WILL wear big bows in true Mexican girl fashion–but not when she’s a baby and they take over her head. On the other hand, the doctor told me today that the baby has a big head. So, perhaps that won’t be a problem…
- I hope she isn’t mean like me. Yet again, please take after Daddy, baby!!
- Yes! I get leftover baby clothes from my little sister’s baby! Score!
- Boys stay away.
- Maybe she can live with Mom when she hits puberty…
My favorite answer to the question, “What are you having?” is this: A Mexican. People really never know what to say to that. I get a lot of awkward laughs…